Wednesday, June 20, 2007

No One Makes This Stuff Up

Plugging in…

I spent an entire day, a full eight hours working with a client who had purchased new computers and needed assistance with file transfers, printer driver installations, internet and email account setups and a host of other computer-related tasks. By the time I left him and his office, all the computers were running perfectly; internet and email tested and on-line, all files transferred and printers humming with output. So I left. Drove home. Ate some dinner. Answered the business phone around 8:00pm the same evening.

Guess who was on the line? None other than the client I had just spent the entire day with. His only words to me were: “My computer fell, from a great distance. Don’t ask me how”. Inquiring minds need to know. Of course I asked how. Things were just fine at the office, until he left the office. He decided to take one of the new desktop computers home to replace an aging one in his home office. Pretty simple really. Turn off, unplug, put in car, drive home… he got stuck at the put in car stage. He positioned the desktop computer (not the monitor) on the roof of his car while he fiddled with the keys to open the car door. That is how the computer came to fall “from a great distance”. Trust me; no one makes this stuff up. Needless to say, there wasn’t anything I could do to resuscitate the poor computer. Dead as a door nail, like old Jacob Marley.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: before calling for help - is it plugged in, is it turned on?

Unplugged

No comments: